Re: Oracle vs VB/SQL

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:14:59 +0200

Magnus Bergh wrote in message ...

>I was surprised when I saw the price for Oracle. I would expect it to be
>much higher but now it is about the same price as MS SQL Server, at least
>if you don't nuy the Enterprise edition. Oracle 8 for NT 5 users cost
>about $1100. I think SQL Server goes for about the same price.

Sounds good. The biggest drawback of going the Oracle route has always been the price tag. Which is why Oracle is (was?) not often found in smaller companies. If they can compete in the pricing arena with SQL-Server, so much better.

>I have one question (I am new to Oracle): When and why should you buy the
>Enterprise edition? What do I get which is not present in the normal
>version?

Not sure, but I think that you get things like the spatial cartridge, context and other stuff included. The best will be is to look at the product information pages for the various Oracle servers at www.oracle.com

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Oct 28 1998 - 06:14:59 CST