Re: Help!-Sql-Net8 simple Problem?ORA-12505

From: <cary_at_nams.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 16:54:50 GMT

In article <6vf48g$dl9$1_at_goof.de.uu.net>,   "Rob" <info_at_ohall.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I can not solve this simple Problem:
> I have two NT-Stations, the first is running the Oracle 7 Server the other
> has Oracle8. TCP/IP Net and Only the TCP/IP Protokoll in Sql-Net.
> On each Machine there is only one Instance.
>
> I try to connect to my Oracle 7.3 Server from the Machine where
> Oracle 8.0x is running using ServerManger :
>
> connect username/password_at_TnsnameOftheOracle7Server
> I get the message:
>
> ORA-12505 The listener could not resolve SID given in connect description.
>
> When I connect to Oracle8 form the local Machine where the Oracle8 Server
> runs, over
> Sql-Net, with
> connect username/password_at_TnsnameOftheLocalServer
> it works.
>
> The tns entry seams correct because I can get the connection when I use
> the same connect string from an application ( Java)
>
> Can anybody help me
> TIA Rob

Hi, Rob,

  We successfully run Oracle 7.3 and Oracle 8 on two separate machines (2 different OS's even, and this is how it all fits together (I think). First, we use TNSNAMES on both machines, which is set in the SQLNET.ORA files. Our SQLNET.ORA files look like:

AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
names.directory_path = (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME) names.default_domain = world
name.default_zone = world
names.default_domain=world

Second, the TNSNAMES.ORA files contain entries for both database SIDs, allowing a connection to either database from either machine. Here is an example entry that uses TCP:

Example1.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = Production1)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = SID1)
    )
  )

Here, the 'Host' is the name of the machine which will be contacted when requests for the 'SID' are made (from the machine holding this TNSNAMES.ORA file). Now, one important point is that 'Host' can be resolved into an IP address via the /etc/hosts file (on Unix). I think the resolution works the same for Win95/NT, but I could be wrong about this. Lastly, there must be listener processes running on both machines, which are configured with the LISTENER.ORA files. To check that the listeners are up/running, type 'lsnrctl' ('lsnrctl80' for Oracle 8) from the command line and issue the 'status' command. If one is not running, issue the 'start' command. From the description of your problem, my best guess is that the cause is one of the following:

  1. There is no entry in the TNSNAMES.ORA file on the Oracle 8 machine for the SID on the Oracle 7.3 server.
  2. The SID you are using (TnsnameOftheOracle7Server) is not identical to that specified in the TNSNAMES.ORA file on the Oracle 8 machine AND in the LISTENER.ORA file on the Oracle 7.3 machine. All of these must be consistent.
  3. If you have both Sql*Netv2 and Sql*Net8 installed, the TNSNAMES.ORA files in the /admin subdirectories are not identical.
  4. There is no entry in the hosts file on the Oracle 8 machine for the Oracle 7.3 machine.
  5. The listener on the Oracle 7.3 machine is not up. (This is definitely not the problem if you can ever connect to the Oracle 7.3 server either from its machine or from a program running anywhere.)

I hope this helps.

Cary