Re: Date default format

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 16:32:53 GMT

"Rich Chopyak" <rich_at_alpinetg.com> wrote:

>Ulf,
>
>Thanks for the response. I've been able to get this to work if I alter the
>current session (ALTER SESSION SET...) from the client side, but from the
>online docs, there's this paragraph:
>
>"You can alter the default value of NLS_DATE_FORMAT by changing its value in
>the initialization file and then restarting the instance, and you can alter
>the value during a session using an ALTER SESSION SET NLS_DATE_FORMAT
>command"
>
>That sounds to me like I should be able to set it in the INIT.ORA file and
>have it be the default for all sessions. Maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the
>first time:)
>
>Rich
>
>> I think you have to look at the NLS parameter on the "client" side not
>>startup parameters to the database.

On point:
If the client has ANY NLS_ parameters set they will override the settings in the init<sid>.ora file AND will cause all the other NLS_ parameters to be reset to their default settings.... The best course of action, in my opinion, is to have NO NLS_ parameters on the client side...let the database settings control things...

However, this requires editing the registry, which is not a casual activity - so you may want to just be sure that all the clients have the correct NLS_ parameters for your setup....

( This also requires registry editing, so it may be a wash.....) To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Fri Oct 02 1998 - 11:32:53 CDT