Datafiles: one more try

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:00:23 +0100

Martijn,

if you are not allowed to use RMAN, then you have a limited choice left (regardless of how or why Windows does what it does!) :

export : use exp to take a logical backup of your data. Cold backup : shut down the instance, copy all datafiles, all control files, initSID.ora, (password file) and redo log files. If you are running in Archivelog mode, there is no need to backup the archived log files, UNLESS, you have a need to restore further back that the dump you are taking, and will need to roll forward to a position prior to this current dump.

hot backup : ONLY in running in archivelog mode. This option allows you to take a backup of a running system while preserving any updates made to the tablespace(s) while the datafiles are being copied by some operating system command. You will need to keep the archived log files as well.

Beware of trying to fiddle some form of backup situation whereby you look at datafile dates and such like. It is a perfect way to trash your database - especially if you try to copy datafiles from a running database without using RMAN or a hot backup.

Cheers,
Norman.

PS. If you are not allowed to 'use RMAN or any other device to safely backup an Oracle datbase.' as you posted, then I'm afraid you won't be safely backing up your data - which is probably a bad thing (tm).

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk