Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:44:10 -0600

Patrick Meyer wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Yes. Because I have lots of servers with two or three databases and one
> > instance. And there isn't any OPS or RAC in sight.
> > Daniel Morgan
>
> Now I am confused. One instance for multiple databases? I thought with
> OPS or RAC, you had multiple instances for one database, but there was
> no way possible to have multiple databases for one instance.
>
> I must have fallen asleep the day they covered that.
>
> (Your not getting confused with SQL Server are you?)

I could be misinterpreting Daniel, but I think he's still talking about a 1-to-1 relationship between instance and database, but that he's only running a subset of his databases at one time. So the host has, say, 6 databases on it, but only 3 of which are actualy instantiated at any given point (the others are just shutdown, not consuming any resources other than disk space).

Regards,
Sean M Received on Thu Jun 20 2002 - 13:44:10 CDT