Re: Oracle 8i - Create database by non product owner (e.g. oracle)

From: Imprecise <f_puhan_at_precise.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:59:55 -0400

In article <e3b3b67b.0206191658.325f0659_at_posting.google.com>,  earthy_at_hkicable.com (Frankie Li) wrote:

> Imprecise <f_puhan_at_precise.com> wrote in message
> > In article <e3b3b67b.0206180034.5a7bdb8f_at_posting.google.com>,
> > earthy_at_hkicable.com (Frankie Li) wrote:
> >
> > There should have been additional errors reported. Do you have those as
> > well?
> >

> Thank you so much for all you guys' advise.
>
> Ah yeah, (sorry, I am really new to Oracle that even don't know where
> the logs are at first...) following error is prompted in the log:
>
> ORA-01990: error opening password file
> '/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs/orapw'
>
> I have tried following some suggestions in this group that were posted
> before:
>
> Add/Remove "remote_password_file = none" (or something similar) in
> init.ora;
> Add/Remove SID environment variable in .profile;
>
> But these doesn't help.
>
> The file orapw is there, but orapw<sid> and init<sid>.ora do not
> exist.
>
> Any hint on what I can try now please?

I'm sorry, but I don't remember the original problem. However, based on what you've written above, I'd say you probably should CREATE a password file.

The file referenced above is actually the executable program that will create the password (in the same directory, which is sometimes a 'hidden' file) which is by default named orapw<sid>. The init<sid>.ora is the file Oracle looks for by default is no PFILE= parameter is given on the command line STARTUP command.

You might find the following useful:
<http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server. 817/a76956/dba.htm>.

--
The underscore character does not belong in my address. You know the drill...
***