Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:31:34 GMT

Patrick Meyer wrote:

> I hate to weigh in on this, because I'm on the wrong side of the fence.
> It's not my choice, mind you, but it's where I'm at. It seems that one
> of the latest buzzwords in the hardware industry is Server
> Consolidation.
>
> That has been taken to the extreme here. So, upper management,
> against our advice, purchased an IBM P680 with 12 processors
> (upgradable to 24) and 12 Gb memory. They also purchased a couple of EMC
> Symmetrix frames for storage. They call this box 'The Consolidated
> Oracle Database Server'.
>
> Plans are to move between 10 - 20 production databases to this server.
> The idea is to get rid of numerous smaller servers to ease the server
> groups management effort and to get rid of the maintenance costs of
> those numerous other servers.
>
> As part of this same effort, I am consolidating some of those
> databases into a single database where it makes sense. Unfortunately
> we get stuck in the Third Party trap where vendors upgrade their
> applications at different intervals, so they require different
> versions of Oracle.
>
> As I said, I fought against this effort and lost. I even posted
> to this group for arguements against it. I got a number of replies,
> the most to the point was Sybrand saying "You're going to Hell and
> you know it." Unfortunately, most of the replies only said
> "it's a bad idea" or "performance will suffer". I tried my best,
> but the vendor's Sales and Marketing groups won the battle.
>
> In any case, I just wanted to provide an example of where multiple
> production databases live on one server.
>
> (Before you respond, let me get into my flameproof suit.)
>
> Patrick
>
> --

Maybe I missed it somewhere. But would someone please clarify whether they are talking about databases or instances? They are not the same thing.

I find it very hard to believe anyone is doing some of the stuff they say here unless the words are being misused.

And I don't care how much junk people decide to consolidate ... why more instances or more databases is better than more tablespaces and schemas (in most situations)? This line of reasoning I don't follow.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 10:31:34 CDT