Re: How to change sys and system passwd?

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/13

No, you *DON'T CHANGE* the internal password, Oracle will *NOT* keep sys and internal the same. The internal password is not stored in the datadictionary, the SYS password is. Change the sys password or the internal password (so they are *NOT* the same) and you will notice SYS will loose SYSDBA privilege and connect internal will prompt you for a password. This is exactly because now they are *NOT* the same. Ran into this many times.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

In article <skap3erih5182_at_corp.supernews.com>,   Paul <paulhjli_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> But, I think you will change the "internal" password when you change
 SYS.
> Oracle will keep Internal and sys same. I feel a little confuse why
> default "Internal" password is "Oracle", so finally, "Internal" will
 have
> two passwords?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Li
>
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> >

> > Both questions have to do with that famous four letter acronym. I
 believe
> > when you are admitted to UCLA you at least have the faculty to do
 that.
> > The default password for system is manager which is hardcoded in
 almost
> > every install script and definitely is in the doc, the default
 password
 for
> > sys is change_on_install, which is also in the doc.
> > The command to change a password is alter user <username>
 identified by
> > <newpassword> which is also in the doc.
> > If similar questions wouldn't have been posted several times a day
 the
 last

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA