Re: Creating Temporary Tables in Oracle

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:50:59 +0100

Jim Lyons, University of Texas at Austin, <j.lyons_at_cc.utexas.edu> wrote:
>sumanm_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
>>
>> How can I create temporary tables in Oracle ?
>> I know that SQL Server supports temporary tables.
>> Basically, I need to create a temporary table containing
>> a subset of the data from another table. Then I want
>> to update some rows in that temporary table,
>> use it and later drop it.
>
>Would the use of PL/SQL tables help here?

Sometimes yes, if you don't need to perform joins with other tables in = the schema.
So these PL/SQL tables will be very efficient. But you need to rewrite a = part of your procedure using loops to traverse these PL/SQL tables.

If you need to perform joins with temporary data, you must use permanent = table, and make sure that the rows in that table can't be seen by other = concurrent transactions. This requires that you do not issue a COMMIT = while this temporary data is needed, so that the inserted rows will only = be seen by the current transaction. Received on Fri Oct 30 1998 - 05:50:59 CST