Re: vb vs Developer

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:56:21 +0200

Pedro wrote in message <710d99$1tj$1_at_diana.bcn.ibernet.es>...
>I have to start a new business application on Oracle 7.3 or 8.
>I don't have experience in Developer 2000 but I can manage reasonably
>well in Visual Basic. I think this new application will take about
>1 year/man to develop. Do you think it is worthwhile to do it in
>developer or not ? Where can I find information on comparisons of
>this two tools ?

VB vs. Developer. The Fat Bloated Man vs. The Scrawny Pimplefaced Kid? ;-)

Personal opinion. Use Designer-2000 and VB together and stay away from Oracle Forms as far as possible. There's nothing more frustrating IMHO than to work with something that lacks the basic Windows RAD functionality we've grown to accept as the standard with tools like VB and Delphi.

My biggest gripes with VB is lack of real OOP, but more importantly, the lack of robust and mature Oracle ODBC drivers. But these problems vs. those you have to face using Oracle Forms? - rather stick with something you know.

The Forms people will of course disagree heavily with what I'm saying. But then they are not real programmers anyway IMO.

Think I've insulted Oracle Forms enough. Better get outta here while I still can! :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Fri Oct 30 1998 - 02:56:21 CST