Validating Oracle Passwords

From: <tonysheehan_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:33:41 GMT

How can I validate an Oracle password using a PL-SQL code block, function or procedure?

I have a screen in my client server application that acts as a user password change. I would like to be able to prompt the user for their old password and validate it against the database to ensure that this is the correct user. The user could then proceed to change their password.

Is this possible? Remember I cannot make use of SQL*Plus since this is a client server application.

Any ideas would be welcome.

thanks,

Tony