Validating Oracle passwords

From: <tonysheehan_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:29:36 GMT

How can I validate a users password in Oracle without using SQL*Plus or scripting? I want to use a PL-SQL code block, stored procedure, or function etc. Something that can be executed from a custom client server program.

I have a client server application that uses Oracle as its database. One screen within the application allows users to change their own Oracle password. I want the screen to work in the same way that a UNIX change password does (i.e. they would have to enter their old password first before they can change to their new password).

Is it possible to verify that the password they enter is valid?

Any help would be appreciated!