Re: Anything else act like a BLOB???

From: William Boyle <bboyle_at_netway.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 20:41:54 -0700

David Hagemann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any data type in version 7.3.2 that can act similar to BLOB that
> is available in 8.0 (or higher). I want to store a .gif image on oracle
> and read it back to display in an HTML page using ASP.
>
> I have tried to do this with a LONG RAW data type, but it doesn't work.
> People tell me they are doing this type of storage and retrieval with
> BLOB's in 8.0, but we won't have 8.0 until next year. I was hoping to get
> something working in our 7.3.2 version.
>
> Thanks inadvance for any ideas,
>
> David

I don't understand! We utilize LONG RAW types to store binary data all the time. You can't do searches on the data with Oracle 7.x, but you can certainly store/retrieve it. We store Java byte code, process machine recipes, etc. that way and download as required to client systems/equipment. BTW, we use LONG RAW for BLOBS > 1MB in size.

-Bill Boyle Received on Sat Oct 24 1998 - 22:41:54 CDT