Re: Returning TRUE and FALSE in Oracle 7.1.5.2.3

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 18 Oct 1998 13:56:39 GMT

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 01:43:22 GMT, tkyte_at_us.oracle.com (Thomas Kyte) wrote:

>booleans cannot be stored in a table in 7.x as a native datatype, this is true.
>However, pl/sql functions may certainly return booleans as demonstrated. I
>don't know what issue there might be with 7.1.5 and forms 3.x with booleans,
>however, booleans are defintely allowed.

You're right. Now that you point it out, I think I've done it myself in the past. I must have been confused and remembering what happens when you try to use such a function in a query. In the past, I've tried to use boolean functions in query where clauses, but without success.

Jonathan

SQL> select always_true from dual;
select always_true from dual

       *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-06552: PL/SQL: Statement ignored
ORA-06553: PLS-382: expression is of wrong type

SQL> select * from dual where always_true; select * from dual where always_true

                                   *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00920: invalid relational operator Received on Sun Oct 18 1998 - 08:56:39 CDT