Re: Oracle 7 DBA - Becoming competent

From: Ross Coventry <ross.coventry_at_c031.aone.net.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 20:18:06 GMT

Greetings,

        My strategy is to preserve integrity and play safe with production systems. Process, Process, Process. And more process.

Record what you do, change control, version control etc. Backup files you change, put dates on them, maintain a personal log, don't work on two databases at a time. Colour your screens differently if you have to.

Always think about how you can backout something you are about to do. Never risk it. Take a backup, check that archive logs are available. Switch logs and archive off the last redo log. Shutdown/startup for a clean working/recovery point (logs still must be archive though!).

Understand what you doing before doing it. You will soon learn what experimenting you can do, how much you don't know! Always try out things on a test system.

Use your alert log file and smon, pmon files to check on what the database is doing.

The OReily book on Oracle Performance Tuning is a good reference. Australian authors.

Remember play safe. Always think about how one can recover from a task. Assess risk, and if you think, should I or shouldn't I take a quick backup, or spool a listing out to disk for reference back incase.....just do it.

Learn about all the objects in oracle, schemas, roles, permissions, tablespaces, datafiles, tables, view, contraints, grants, triggers, RI, etc etc.

Learn lots about Export and Import....its a good way to learn how objects hang together. How a database is built/unloaded in full export. When grants go back on, when contraints are loaded, when the dictionary is loaded.

Hope this is of help....regards, Ian Evans IEvans_at_nm.com eon_at_mira.net