Re: What to Count - WAS Re: Newbie ? - Howto find nbr records in a table

From: GHouck <hksys_at_teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 06:36:35 GMT

Alan D. Mills wrote:

> Alan D. Mills
>
> Jason Jay Weiland wrote in message
> <361BD316.B7458F26_at_uclink4.berkeley.edu>...
> >Hey Allan,
> >
> > You could also use Count(1), Count(3), Count(1974) or Count('jay').
>
> It doesn't matter what you count. I know.

[snip]

I missed the rest of the thread, but I just wanted to make sure that the above statement was not a blanket one covering all count(...):

select count(*) from mytable;

is decidely different from:

select count(idnumber) from mytable;

perhaps not in terms of speed, but certainly in the return value (if any 'idnumber's are null).

Yours,

Geoff Houck
systems hk
hksys_at_teleport.com