Moving an MS ACCESS db & app to ORACLE

From: John Akright <akrighjb_at_ci.richmond.va.us>
Date: 8 Oct 1998 13:12:51 GMT

I'm interested in anyones experience in migrating an MS ACCESS APP and Database to
Oracle.

I know there's a Migration tool free for download at the Oracle website. But that's just for the data.
Right!

I'm trying to do a proof-of-concept for a Time Accounting System which is written on an Access
database. What will be involved?

I haven't investigated this too much so forgive my ignorance.

Here's some of my thoughts & Questions:

  1. I can connect from an Access program using ODBC, but I don't want to install SQL*NET on every client. What ODBC software/vendor will allow this?
  2. If its written in ACCESS programming language I guess I better hope the programmer used Standard SQL to query the Ms Acess db. Right?
  3. I've heard ODBC causes allot of network traffic, thus causing poor performance. Thoughts?

This is a start. Any experiences/advice any of you have had in doing something like this would
would be appreciated. Thanks.

John Received on Thu Oct 08 1998 - 08:12:51 CDT