Re: Large Directory Problem

From: Tim Hill/MVP <timhill_at_pacbell.net>
Date: 1998/10/04

Well, like all system level problems, the solution changes with the scale of the problem. The original post didn't really state either of the two important criteria: the file system type (FAT or NTFS) or the expected number of files to be stored.

As Scott said, if Randall is using FAT that will explain the abysmal performance -- he should certainly switch to NTFS, which will solve most all of the indexing issues even with very large numbers of files. He should also look into disabling 8.3 name creation on NTFS, as this can slow down directory operations on very large NTFS directories.

--
Tim Hill -- Windows NT MVP

<#Q0sVm979GA.233_at_uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net>...