Re: When will long datatype no longer be supported

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:49:40 -0800

Your case against LOB is

(1) desupported in 10i
(2) Can't replicate through Oracle replication
(3) Can't do a Create Table As Select if a column is LONG
(4) LONG columns can't queried like SUBSTR(), INSTR(), DECODE, etc.

You case for them to move from LONG to LOB

(1) All of the above
(2) The existing data from LONG can be painlessly migrated to LOB using TO_LOB() Their case against moving from LONG

Code change required

You counter argument:

Code change is minimal. Almost all columns that are used as LONG can easily be converted to LOB.

Hope this helps.

Arup Nanda

> We are looking at purchasing a third party software package that is still
using longs. I am trying to make the case for forcing them to upgrade to lob's before we will purchase their software. Aside from the pain of having to deal with them - are they going to stop being supported soon? If so do you have any urls with details/dates?

--
Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com